My students are good readers, but only a few are "hooked" on reading. Of course, like any good promoter, I hyped the Harry Potter series. Yesterday, with impeccable timing, Harry Potter arrived in my fourth grade classroom. Just listen to what's happened:
- "I don't want to go to recess. I have to keep reading!"
- "This is the best book I've ever read!
- "I can't wait to read more!"
- "When will we begin building the model of Diagon Alley?"
- "Can I read more chapters than you have assigned?
Thank you, Joanne Rowling! You have singlehandedly piqued my students' interest in reading!