Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Improving Narrative Writing

How can intermediate students improve their narrative writing? Here are my top 10 ways:
  1. Vary sentence beginnings, types, and lengths.
  2. Choose words for effect.
  3. Choose precise words.
  4. Use sensory words.
  5. Use active verbs.
  6. Use transition words/terms.
  7. Use figurative language.
  8. Add details.
  9. Add dialogue.
  10. Write effective beginnings and endings.

Each and every one of these strategies works wonders in my classroom!

I wondered what worked for other teachers. In "8 Effective (and ridiculously easy) Ways to Improve Narrative Writing," Janice Malone at ELA Seminars not only provides some fabulous tips, but also links instructional activities to each, some of which are Pinterest writing prompts. I am now following Janice and can't wait to use some of her stuff in my classroom!

Enjoy!
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment